The International Student and Scholar Services can assist and offer a variety of services and resources. Below you can find the various issues we can assist and offer advising on. If interested please contact the ISSS office at 801-581-8876 or by email at


Information for academic departments at the University of Utah who work with F-1 students and J-1 students.

  • Visa Issues
  • Family and Dependents
  • Maintaining Status
  • Changing Status
  • Employment
  • General Information
  • J-1 Exchange Visitor Students
  • J-1 Exchange Visitor Student Interns


Information for academic departments regarding J-1 exchange visitors, including international faculty, researchers, short term scholars and specialists.

  • Inviting Visiting Scholars
  • DS-2019 Applications & Instructions
  • Pre-Arrival Information
  • The International Center Responsibilities
  • Sponsoring Department Responsibilities
  • How to get a UCard
  • Taxes and Social Security


  • Student & Scholar Visas
  • Choosing the Right Visa
  • J-1 Categories for Scholars
  • J-1 Categories for Students
  • J-1 Students Internships
  • J & H Comparison Chart
  • Employment Authorizatioin (H-1B)