You are here:

International Student Orientation

international orientation

The International Student and Scholar Services provides orientation for all new international students and scholars at the U of U including graduates, undergraduates, exchange students and visiting scholars.

At orientation, you will learn about important resources available to you as a U student, have an opportunity to meet other local and international students, and discover Salt Lake City!

Summer 2017 Orientation: May 11 and 12

Fall 2017 Orientation: All students admitted for FALL 2017 must attend orientation in August 2017. Specific dates will be announced soon and registration details will be emailed to you in late May.

Sign up for Orientations

Please log in to our Pre-Arrival Checklist through the link below to review pre-arrival information and to begin signing up for orientation sessions. Your Pre-Arrival Checklist and Orientation Session sign-ups will appear upon login.

To log in:
    1. Click on Pre-Arrival Information
    2. You will need:
          Your University Network ID (uNID) 
          Your Password (your default password is your birthday in MMDDYYYY format)
          Your limited access pin (This will be sent to your umail address in March. If you did not receive the email, or have questions, please contact

Alternate Orientation Dates:

If you are unable to attend orientation on May 11 or 12, there will be one alternate orientation session on Wednesday, May 24 from 9am - 12pm in the Collegiate room (Union).

You must attend the entire session to fulfill the requirements. Students who arrive late will not be able to attend. Please plan in advance to arrive on time. You do not need to register in advance to attend an alternate orientation.

Failure to attend orientation will result in a hold on your account and will prevent you from registering for Fall 2017 classes.

Note: Information regarding orientation for students starting in Fall 2017 will become available in May 2017.

Things You Should Know About
International Student Orientation at the U of U

  1. All new international students starting Summer 2017 are advised to arrive at the University of Utah on or before May 10, 2017.
  2. International Student Orientation is required for incoming students. These mandatory sessions are required by U.S. law and University policy, so they are very important.
  3. You must attend the full day of activities for the orientation date that you choose. If you arrive late, there are alternative orientations to attend, however resources are limited.
  4. You DO need to register for International Student Orientation.

Please note: All new international students must attend mandatory events during International Student Orientation, including freshman, transfer, graduate and exchange students. Other campus orientations do not replace the mandatory events. Failure to complete the required sessions during International Student Orientation and complete your Check-In will result in a “hold” being place on your student records.

International Student Orientation Summer 2017

Mandatory for all new International Students

Students admitted for Fall 2017 will attend orientation in August 2017. Specific dates will be announced soon.

Choose a date: May 11 or 12

  • Check in
    Saltair Room, Student Union
  • Welcome
    Saltair Room, Student Union
    9:00am – 9:15am
  • Student Responsibilities and Immigration Presentation
    Saltair Room, Student Union
    9:15am  - 10:30am
  • American Classroom
    Saltair Room, Student Union
    10:45 – 12:00pm
  • Lunch with the Ambassadors
    Saltair Room, Student Union
    12:00 – 1:00pm
  • Undergraduate Advising OR Graduate Document Check-In
    Marriott Library
    1:00 – 2:30pm
  • Undergraduate Document Check-In
    Marriott Library
    2:30pm – 4:00pm

Additional Sessions:

May 12

  • Writing exam
    Union Theatre, Student Union
    4:00 – 5:00pm
  • Accuplacer Math Exam
    Testing Center, Student Services Building
    Contact the Testing Center at 801-581-8733 with questions.

Alternate Orientation

Dates will be announced

Writing ExamUnion
In order to get into a University Writing Course, all undergraduate students must take the writing exam unless they have taken a writing course previously or if English is their first language.

Document Check-In
Bring the following items with you to report to Document Check-In. Bring both physical copies and scanned copies on a USB flash drive.

  • biographical page of your passport
  • passport expiration date, if different from biographical page
  • your I-20 (F-1 visa) or DS-2019 (J-1 visa)
  • visa
  • I-94 immigration card (print from

Math Exam
The Accuplacer brand Math Placement test is used by the University of Utah to identify the proper level of Math class for which a student should register.

If you have questions about orientation, please read the FAQs tab or contact us at

Bring Scans of Your Immigration Documents to expedite the check-in process

F-1 and J-1 visa regulations require you to report to campus after you arrive in Salt Lake City. To meet this requirement, follow the instructions below based on the semester you will begin your program.

Fall, Spring, and Summer Semester New Students: Submit scans of your immigration documents to Document Check-In. This includes transfer students inside the U.S. If you arrive after the start of classes, submit your scans at an alternative session (dates found on the registration page).

It is recommended that you make scans (200 dpi or higher) or high-resolution digital photographs of your documents in advance and save the information on a USB flash drive.  You may scan your documents at home or in Salt Lake City. If you would like to scan your documents on campus, scanners are located in the Union Building and Marriott Library. See a map.

These are the documents you must scan:

F-1 Students

  • I-20, page 1 and page 3
    • Sign your I-20 at the bottom of the front page (item #11) before you make the scan.
  • If you are changing schools within the U.S. and transferring your SEVIS record to Utah and the I-20 has not been sent to your address, you must collect your University of Utah I-20 from the International Admissions office located in the Student Services Building (SSB) and then scan the I-20 before coming to document check-in.
  • F-1 Visa
  • Passport biographical page (​This is the page of your passport with your photo.)
  • Passport expiration date page (This is the page of your passport with the expiration date. It may be the same page as your biographical page.)

J-1 Students

  • DS-2019
    • Sign your DS-2019 at the bottom of the front page before making the scan.
  • I-94 card, Before arriving to orientation, you will need to print off your I-94 card by visiting
  • J-1 Visa
  • Passport biographical page (This is the portion of your passport with your photo.)
  • Passport expiration date page (This is the portion of your passport with the expiration date if it is different than your biographical page.)    
  • Sign and submit the Compliance Agreement Form for Exchange Visitor Program (J-1) – Health Insurance Regulations (PDF).  U.S. Department of State regulations require all individuals on a J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa and J-1 Immigration status have health insurance throughout their stay in the U.S.  The Compliance Agreement Form demonstrates that the Exchange Visitor is attesting to the fact they have coverage meeting the Department of State requirements.  Please sign and scan this form before coming to document check-in.

Orientation FAQ | General FAQ


How do I register for Orientation?

Log in to our Pre-Arrival Checklist to review pre-arrival information and to sign up for orientation. You will need the Limited Access Pin to login. This information is sent to you by email from ISSS office.

Do I need to register for Orientation?

Yes, all students are required to register for orientation as we have limited space. If you come on a day you did not sign up for, you will be placed on the waitlist and will be admitted if we have an open spot. If we do not have enough space, students on waitlist will be asked to return on another day and repeat the process. All students are highly recommended to choose a date they can attend and register for orientation in advance.

Do I need to attend Orientation?

Yes. Your attendance is required by your F-1 student visa an d University policy. There are no exceptions.

Is Orientation mandatory?

Yes, the International Student Orientation is mandatory for all entering international students per US regulation. This includes freshman, returning students, transfer students, graduate students and exchange students. Make sure you attend the International Student Orientation, as other campus orientations do not replace the mandatory events.

What if I can’t get to Salt Lake City before Orientation?

There will be alternate sessions the first few weeks of the new semester. If you miss both the main orientation and the alternate orientation, you have not complied with the federal regulation or university policy. A hold will be placed on your student account and you will not be able to register for next semester classes unless you attend an orientation next semester. There are no exceptions so please plan your arrival accordingly. Please check here for alternate orientation dates.

What do we do at the Orientation?

International Student and Scholar Services will provide you information regarding your visa and immigration regulations, University of Utah policies, and will collect your immigration documents. International Student Ambassadors will be around to help you if you have any questions.

What is an International Student Ambassador?

International Student Ambassadors are students who have completed at least two (2) semesters at the University of Utah and will assist you during the International Student Orientation. They will wear bright red t-shirts, so feel free to ask them for help while you are here.

What should I bring to the Orientation?

Please see our Document Check-In tab for more information. Bring all of your required documents as you will not be able to attend the orientation if you are missing any of the documents.



When will I receive my I-20?

If you have applied for admission to The University of Utah and have questions on your application, please check the Tracking File of the International Admissions Office. For more information, please go to the Questions on your Application page.

Do I need to take the ESL Writing Placement Exam?

The ESL Writing Placement Exam is for students who speak English as a second language and have NOT taken any writing courses at a US University before. This is a simple writing exam that only takes about 45 minutes to complete. University level writing courses are required for every major, so even if you are studying an area unrelated to writing you will need to complete this course requirement. Your TOEFL results will not cover this requirement.

Please note: if you have attended high school in the US and/or have completed a university level English writing course (such as ENGL 1010 or Advanced Placement courses in Literature or Writing) you may be better suited to the general Writing Placement Exam. Contact the Linguistics Department for more information.

  • If you completed 3 or more years at AND GRADUATED from a U.S. high school, you are given a Writing Placement Score for WRTG 1010 or 2010, so you would not need to do ESL essay (but it is optional if you want to take the test). A University College advisor can look up your WRTG placement score and discuss these options with you.              
  • If English is your first language and you have no Writing Placement score by virtue of the above: you need to write the writing Placement Essay for 1010-2010 at the Testing Center
    • If you have English/Writing transfer courses (NOT ESL COURSES) that have been accepted as equivalent to WRTG 1010 with minimum C- then you could proceed to 2010 without a placement essay.
  • Exchange students do not have to take either Accuplacer or ESL/WRTG placement essays UNLESS you want to take a math, ESL or Writing Dept. class and do not have the high school completion above or pertinent transfer work.

Contact the Linguistics Department for more information.

How do I apply for on-campus housing?

The University of Utah does not guarantee on-campus (dorm-style) housing for all students. If you wish to live on-campus, you should apply quickly as it fills up quite fast. Visit the Housing and Residential Education website for more information about the application process and how to get on a wait-list.

How do I apply for off-campus housing?

If you wish to live in off-campus housing, the Off-Campus Housing website may be a good place to start.

Can I be picked up from the airport?

You are expected to find transportation from the airport. For more information please go to the Arrival Information page.

When can I register for classes?

Students may register as soon as they have their Certificate of Admission from the University of Utah office of International Admissions.

How do I register for classes?

Please follow the guide: 

How do I access my University of Utah Identification (the uNID, UMail and UCard)?

Your University Network ID (uNID) & secure password uniquely identifies you on the campus network for various computing services. Everyone at the University of Utah receives a uNID. You were assigned your uNID when you were accepted to the University; you may find this number on the Admissions Statement mailed to you from the International Admissions Office. Your uNID is also known as your student identification number.

How do I access my UMail account?

UMail is the official form of communication at the University of Utah. International Student and Scholar Services as well as other on campus agencies, including your academic department and instructors will contact you by UMail. You were assigned your UMail account when you receive your uNID. If you don’t know how to access your University of Utah Umail account, please look at your Admission letter for more information or you may email the university’s IT desk at

What is my password?

To find out your password, visit the Campus Information System website.

What is a UCard and how do I get it?

The UCard is the official campus identification card (I.D. card) of The University of Utah and is used for library privileges, laboratory access, obtaining a bus or trax, and other campus activities. You must be registered for classes before you are able to obtain the UCard. U Cards are not available until you arrive on campus. Check the UCard website for office locations and other information.

Where can I find International student health insurance information?

You can find more information about University of Utah health insurance requirements at . If you have any questions regarding the requirements or would like more information, please contact Student Health Center.

If you have questions about orientation, please contact us at


Last Updated: 4/4/17